January 11, 2012

Home Goals for a New Year

2012 Home Goals Party

The Nester over at Nesting Place (which is one of my favorite blogs that I read almost daily) is hosting a linky party today and I thought this would be a great opportunity to actually write down some goals for my apartment this year.  Unlike many bloggers out there, I don't own a home yet, so my goals will be a little different as I can't do any major changes, such as painting or gutting rooms (even though I'd love to!).

Goal 1: My main goal is to BRIGHTEN up my space.  I moved into my apartment loving dark neutral colors like dark browns, reds, and greens.  My living room, bedroom, and dining room all seem so dark lately, maybe because it's wintertime?  Either way, I'm now really digging the off-whites, greige, and sage green colors.  In order to do this in an affordable way, I'll need to focus on accent pieces that can replace my darker pieces.

Right now I have dark red/brown accent pillows in my living room that my sister gave me, which went perfect with my decor.  Unfortunately, they have seen better days.  Switching out pillows can be an easy and affordable way to update the look of a couch and chair.  This pillow would definitely add more brightness to my couch and chair...
    Source

    I'm loving the rustic, yet elegant look of mercury glass and would love some mercury glass candle holders to brighten up my space in either the dining room and/or living room...

    Source

    Beginning last year, I became attracted to ceramic bird figurines.  In my kitchen I have a chicken theme (yes, even a vegetarian can decorate her kitchen with chickens!).  I love the look of all-white ceramic birds that can be nestled into any nook or cranny of a room.  Such a cute way to bring nature inside...

    Source


    Goal 2: Spray paint something!  So many blogs have shown the power that spray paint holds and how well it transforms anything!  I have two large, elongated framed, matted pictures hanging in my dining room that could use some updating.  The frames are dark brown, so maybe a greige color would work or even white, while switching out the current pictures to some botanical or nautical drawings...

    Source

    Source

    Goal 3: Create a terrarium.  Because my one cat, Basil, chews on any house plant I have ever tried to own, I thought a terrarium would be the perfect solution to keep her pesky chompers away from greenery!

    Source

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      The twins love comments! And because you took the time to write, we try our best to respond to everyone's comments individually.