January 20, 2012

Quick and Easy Beans and Rice


This recipe is so good and filling, not too mention super healthy (depending on the ingredients you use).  When I first turned vegetarian, I was overwhelmed with the thought that I had no idea what to make for myself believing that I would have to look in the organic section of the grocery store to get food.  This is so not the case!  I am probably the worst cook ever, so I needed recipes that were quick, easy, and painless.  I came across this recipe while watching Food Network and immediately got all of the ingredients:

2 cups brown rice
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup salsa
1 can black beans
1 can red beans
1 can corn
1 tbs onion flakes
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Tortilla chips

Cook rice as directed.  Combine rest of ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer until rice is done.  Once rice is cooked, fold the ingredients in rice.  Serve with tortilla chips on the side.  Serves about four.

Different ways to use this recipe:
  • Use these ingredients to make stuffed bell peppers
  • Serve with whole wheat wraps or taco shells with lettuce
  • Serve with cheese (of your choice) over the top
The beauty of this recipe is that you don't need to follow the measurements to a "T".  In the picture, you can see I used green beans instead of black beans to add some "greenery" to the meal.  I also didn't use thyme.  And I never measure my spices.  Just don't go overboard with the cayenne pepper, unless you like it HOT!  You can use white rice instead of brown, but brown rice definitely holds more nutrients.  This meal is great to pack for lunches because you end up with a lot left over.


I'm linking up with My Meatless Mondays on My Sweet and Savory blog.  Click on the link to see more delicious meatless recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The twins love comments! And because you took the time to write, we try our best to respond to everyone's comments individually.