January 14, 2012

Easy Peasy Eco-Friendly Cleaning

When I first turned vegetarian in 2008, I mainly focused on purchasing food products that were meat-free/cruelty free.  Now, as I do more research pertaining to healthy and ethical living, I realized that I should also focus on purchasing ethical products that I use in my apartment like cleaning products.  I discovered that cleaning products can be just as harmful to us as the food we eat.  I used to use Clorox wipes, Windex, and bleach for cleaning, but with two cats that sniff every cleaning product I use, I needed a safer alternative that wouldn't break the bank.


One blog that gives great tips on making your own affordable and cruelty-free cleaning products is Elizabeth's Kind Cafe Blog.  One DIY cleaning ingredient that I use is essential oils.  You can find these in any pharmacy or grocery store at pretty decent prices.  Elizabeth developed an informative list including each type of essential oil and their natural purposes here.  These are some of my favorites:

  • Lavender – Antibacterial, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Antifungal, Antiseptic
  • Lemon – Antibacterial, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Antifungal, Antiseptic
  • Pine – Antibiotic, Antibacterial, Deodorizer, Antiseptic
  • Spearmint – Antibacterial
  • Tea Tree – Antibacterial, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Antifungal, Antiseptic

For an all-purpose/window/floor cleaner, I use...
  • 12 oz white vinegar
  • 12 oz water
  • Few drops of any essential oil of your choice (I use tea tree oil)
  • 1 spray bottle
Many people do not like the smell of vinegar (I sure don't!).  But, its important to note that vinegar absorbs odor once it has dried, so you really only smell the vinegar for maybe 30 minutes.  You might need to play around with the measurements of this recipe to suit your smell preferences.

For a shower cleaner, I use...
  • Borax
  • Water
Mix them together in a bowl to form a paste.  Then, using a sponge or cloth, I rub it all over the tub and tiles.  Rinse clean.  This works great on sinks, too.

Or...
  • Liquid dish soap
  • Baking soda
  • Water
Mix dish soap and baking soda together in a bowl to form paste.  Add water to make it the consistency you want.  Then, using a sponge or cloth, rub it all over the tub and tiles.  Rinse clean.  This also works great on sinks.

Another great cleaning product is Mrs. Meyers all-purpose cleaner.  I get the lavender scent, but they also have basil, lemon verbena, geranium,  and rosemary.  All you need is a spray bottle filled with water and, here is the best part: a CAP FULL of Mrs. Meyers!  This stuff lasts forever and smells amazing.  It's also pet friendly!


Bottom line: What's great about making your own cleaning products is how much money you save.  I rarely buy cleaning products because the ingredients last forever.  You also cut back on plastic, by using reusable spray bottles.  Lastly, make sure you wear gloves while using certain oils as some can be potent, like Tea Tree and Lavender.

Happy Cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The twins love comments! And because you took the time to write, we try our best to respond to everyone's comments individually.