February 25, 2012

Eco-Friendly Fridge Cleaning Tips

The machine that works the hardest in our home right alongside our washer and dryer is the fridge. The fridge is kind of like a messy closet at times. The out of sight out of mind mentality comes into play. It goes through a beating during the week, whether there are sticky fingerprints on the outside, spoiled food, or that occasional spill; we all know what it feels like to have a messy fridge. One of the best reasons of having a clean fridge is that knowing what you have can help save money and help you prepare for meals.

Have you ever gone grocery shopping only to come home and realize you already had two bags of lettuce? I know I have! A clean fridge will not only keep your food safe from spoiling, but it will make your life seem so much more organized.

Now on to the eco-friendly segment of this post. I will admit before I became conscious of eco-friendly/do it yourself cleaning supplies I was a Lysol cleaning junky. Every time I cleaned though I felt sick to my stomach and the lingering smell of these cleaning supplies stayed in the air for days. When it came to my fridge I cleaned with multi-surface cleaners.

It occurred to me through research, my sister, and an Ah-Ha! moment that the products I was using to clean inside my fridge lingered not only on the surface, but also seeped inside my food! I had to make a change. Since then, I have been practicing eco-friendly ways to clean not only my fridge, but everything else in my apartment as well. By doing this I have saved a ton of money on cleaning supplies!

SUPPLIES:
  • Cloth/Sponge
  • Baking soda (Stops flavor transfers and keeps foods tasting fresher, longer)
  • Warm water
  • Bucket
  • Baking sheet
Here are the steps you can take towards an eco-friendly clean fridge:

Step 1: Unplug your fridge and allow to unthaw.

Step 2: Empty all contents of your fridge throwing away any past due items.

Step 3: Take out all the bins and shelves.

Step 4: Dilute 1/4 cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and 1 quart of warm water in a bucket. Use this solution to scrub your bins and the interior of your fridge and freezer with a wet cloth or sponge. There is no need to rinse off this solution unless you have used too much to leave a residue.


Don't forget to clean the ice cube tray and ice cube holder. Allow these items to dry before placing them inside again.


This picture might not look like I need to clean my fridge but to my naked eye this machine has germs and gunk all over it!



Pay special attention to nooks and crannies inside the fridge and freezer as well as the rubber lining the inside doors.



Scrub, scrub, scrub! Don't give up now!



Step 6: Take sponge with solution and scrub the outside of the fridge. Use a wet cloth to take off the excess solution if there is any left behind.


Cool Tip: If you still find that your fridge has an odor sprinkle some Arm and Hammer Baking Soda on a baking sheet, set inside the fridge and shut the door for an hour.


Step 7: Wipe down all jars and containers with clean cloth before putting them back.

I started this project thinking it wasn't going to take me too long. I thought wrong! I ended up doing a major overhaul of my entire kitchen once I was done with my fridge. Below is a picture of my finished product, all squeaky clean!

As sad as it is, whenever I clean a room in my apartment I try to not dirty it soon thereafter. It looks like I will be ordering takeout or popping a pizza in the oven tonight : )


Check out Arm & Hammer Fridge-N-Freezer. Just open the sides, place in your fridge or freezer and enjoy 30 days of freshness in every box.



This is the most amazing invention ever! I'm in love! Pop one of these babies in your fridge and freezer and it will thank you!


Lessons Learned: The first time I cleaned my fridge I sprinkled baking soda all over everything and scrubbed with a wet sponge. This created a thick residue that was hard to come off once I was done cleaning. Unfortunately I had to empty out and wipe down my fridge two more times because of the baking soda film left behind : (

Sources:

Parties I am linking to:

32 comments:

  1. A blog written by twin sisters... how sweet! I am a mom to twin daughters (I also have an older and younger daughter too). What a blessing! I am so looking forward to perusing your place here and getting to know you!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine! We just started our blog in January and have become even closer than we were before! It is so much fun to do together and quite a bonding experience. I love how you have a house full of girls! And twins! My goodness you must be so busy. By the way I checked out With a Grateful Prayer and a Thankful Heart, I am your newest follower! I stopped in my tracks when I saw your pound cake...yum!

      Delete
  2. Great post! Baking soda is such a great cleaner and deodorizer. I use it all the time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I am going to have fun trying out all the different ways I can clean with it! BTW I checked out Pieced Pastimes and I am your newest follower, awesome blog!!

      Delete
  3. Such good tips! It reminds me that I probably should clean my fridge. Sad face :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelley! Make sure you have a glass of wine in hand when you do it. Cleaning the fridge takes so long!

      Delete
  4. Hey girls, After reading "The Twins" page I thought you might be interested in reading about our twins double wedding. If so, here is the link: http://gratefulprayerthankfulheart.blogspot.com/2009/06/double-wedding-double-anniversary.html

    One of the girls (Jamie) is expecting her 6th baby at any moment!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, what a beautiful wedding! Or should I say weddings? How you explained your twins is how Caroline and I are. We are the same in some ways but different in others. Beautiful family!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful tips. I'm definitely pinning this one. :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. very awesome tips. I like the idea of using the baking sheet to completely getting rid of odors. Thanks so much for checking out my blog. Loving yours and am following back! :)

    http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassidy! Yes, the baking soda baking sheet works very well! Happy blogging : )

      Delete
  7. Ugh, I need to do this! Thanks for the helpful tips. Caroline, thank you for your visit and your sweet comments on my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! My gosh it felt like a marathon! Btw I checked out Dimples and Tangles, I'm in love with your home. Newest follower : )

      Delete
  8. thank you so much for your sweet comments on my blog!! you have SO many amazing tips here on your blog!! :D
    this is totally the way I clean my fridge too- no need for smelly cleaning fumes, baking soda and vinegar are the most awesome cleaners ever!! :D hehe... oh! and another tip that we've found out the hard way- make sure to defrost with the fridge/freezer doors open! otherwise mold can start growing! eww!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shauna! Great tip on defrosting with the fridge/freezer doors open! I think I am going to tackle my tub this weekend with baking soda : )

      Delete
  9. Love baking soda! Thanks for the tips and for linking up @ the Delectable Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tisha! And thanks for hosting your party at the Delectable Home : ) I look forward to it every week!

      Delete
  10. Thanks Hannah! For some reason your comments aren't coming to my e-mail, so I'll clog up your comment page! ;) I appreciate your visit and am so glad you like what you saw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Hmmm maybe I have a setting off in my account settings. I will look into that. Feel free to clog up our comment page anytime you want! : )

      Delete
  11. Hi,
    I am a new GFC follower. I found you on a grow your blog hop. I would love for you to stop by my site and return the favor and follow me back as well. If you are interested also check out our current giveaways. We have something for everyone right now.
    Thanks a lot!
    http://www.chunkyandmonkeymd.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely great tips! The good old baking soda will always be the most reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice tips, it was really informative and I learn a lot on that kind of cleaning techniques. We always ensure that our environment was clean, that's why sometimes we always need some iso 9001 accredited cleaning company that are the best in cleaning service.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blog you have got here.. It’s hard to find excellent writing like yours these days.
    deck cleaning geelong | commercial cleaning
    Residential cleaning | office cleaning

    ReplyDelete
  15. You ought to basically fantastic not to mention solid advice, which means notice:
    http://TopVacuumers.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fridge Cleaning Tips is Very nice blog, with images, steps, procedure. I shall use it in the future.
    Carpet Cleaning Geelong | Residential Cleaning | office Cleaning | deck cleaning geelong | toilet cleaning

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.
    commercial cleaning canberra

    ReplyDelete
  18. So-kleen provides professional & affordable cleaning services across Nigeria. Our team of experts provides high quality, reliable home & commercial cleaning services. Our main aim is to satisfy our clients by providing them with the specific cleaning services they require.

    Cleaning Companies in Nigeria

    ReplyDelete

  19. Almost every home has a carpet as a necessity, as carpets help make the floor and house warm all seasons round. Carpets are also used as décor in many homes, as different colors and designs are great to look at. These carpets are susceptible to dust and other forms of dirt. Some stains are too stubborn to clean, and it may take ages before the stain can come off from your special mat. Although there are different techniques of cleaning carpets, special detergents and cleaning materials are required to make the cleaning exercise worthwhile. If you have been dealing with carpet stains and are still worried how they can become clean again, maybe it is time you tried carpet cleaning experts.
    شركة نظافة بجدة
    شركة تنظيف منازل بجدة
    شركة تنظيف بجدة

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Montreal Office Cleaning Services

    http://www.office-cleaningservices.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  22. the other side. This is the main reason I wanted to change up where everything was. We have a bump out that I had made into my work shop. But it wasn’t working:

    professional cleaners

    ReplyDelete

The twins love comments! And because you took the time to write, we try our best to respond to everyone's comments individually.